I have signed up for Secret Pal 10. Can’t believe I kept missing the deadlines for past sign ups.
Here are my answers to the questionaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like natural fibres but nothing too bulky or too fine. I don’t like plastic type acrylics that squeak when you use them or fun fur.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a set of Denise Interchangeables, so they are in their case. The others are in a couple of vases within easy reach of my chair! I am primarily a knitter, I do a little self taught crochet to decorate freeform handbags.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I was taught to knit about 25 years ago by my mum but only the basics of knit & purl. Other techniques I have taught myself as I went. The importance of tension/gauge and blocking were never mentioned. These things I have only learnt more recently.
So, I guess you could say I am a beginner in some ways but intermediate-advanced in others.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, an Amazon wish list, there is a link in my sidebar.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Don’t like strong scents so tend to avoid perfumes (do use Light Blue by D&G). Shower gels & bath oils in oriental florals or vanilla are nice.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Love chocolate in all it’s wondrous forms!!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have a spinning wheel & am trying to find some time to learn how to use it!
Also exploring visual journals & painting/drawing.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Not a big fan of anyone in particular. I like Missy Higgins, Norah Jones, Casey Chambers. Looking at that, I’d guess you could say I like easy listening female singers with great voices!
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love purple, brown & red. Not a big fan of bright neon colours like lime, yellow & orange. Not really keen on wishy-washy pastels either. But it depends what it is for.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a long, long term partner (just over 20 years) and we have 2 boys who will be 16 & 11 this year.
I have a dog, Molly, who is a Jack Russell cross.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
It doesn’t get very cold where I live so I wear scarves more as a decoration than for warmth. Don’t wear hats. May wear mittens or a poncho , not for extra warmth though & I don’t have any to wear.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I have made quite a few freeform handbags and tops.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Handbag for International Tote Exchange III, Waterlily top from Interweave Knits, the dreaded second sock of my very first pair, blocks for the Lizard Ridge Afghan from Knitty.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes. I know how much time, thought & effort go into handmade gifts.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I have used straight metal needles for so long. I am getting used to circulars now I have my Denise set. I haven’t used bamboo but I would like to try them, also want to try Addis turbos that I hear so much about.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a very old yarn winder; don’t have a swift.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I am still making the Weekend Getaway Satchel (Mary Poppins style carpetbag) from Interweave Knits; must be a year or two by now.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Not fond of overseas travel as the flights are long & uncomfortable; I also don’t stomach new water supplies very well 🙁 but I would still love to go to Ireland, France & Italy one day. Recently we went to Thailand which was lovely.
In the meantime I like somewhere not too far from home where I can lay by the pool and catch up on some reading; some nice scenery for walks & a few shops to browse in. Anything really where the kids are occupied & happy!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I seem to be amassing craft books and yarn recently! But nothing else.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I would like to try any yarn I can’t get here in Australia that I hear is so wonderful. Malabrigo is one that comes to mind. Addi turbos I already mentioned. Would love some Japanese knitting magazines/books. I subscribe to Interweave Knits, Rowan & Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I haven’t tried Modular knitting although I do have one book. Also want to learn to spin (have a couple of books), want to learn the magic loop technique, knitting on 2 circs.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am still on my first pair of socks and have a skein of handpainted yarn put aside for my 2nd pair. I am a ladies 8 (in Australia) which makes my foot about 9 1/2″ long.
23. When is your birthday?
My birthday is March 23.