Secret Pal 10 is about to begin! The excitement is mounting as pals are being organised. I thought I had better republish the answers to my questionaire as it was a bit difficult for my pal to find. So here it is again, with a few amendments.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like natural fibres but nothing too bulky or too fine. I don’t like plastic type acrylics that squeak when you use them or fun fur.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a set of Denise Interchangeables, so they are in their case. The others are in a couple of vases within easy reach of my chair!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I was taught to knit about 25 years ago by my mum but only the basics of knit & purl. Other techniques I have taught myself as I went. The importance of tension/gauge and blocking were never mentioned. These things I have only learnt more recently.So, I guess you could say I am a beginner in some ways but intermediate-advanced in others.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, an Amazon wish list, there is a link in my sidebar.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Don’t like strong scents so tend to avoid perfumes (do use Light Blue by D&G). Shower gels & bath oils in oriental florals or vanilla are nice.
Also like the smell of coffee brewing & chocolate.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Love chocolate in all it’s wondrous forms!!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have a spinning wheel & am trying to find some time to learn how to use it!
I would also like to explore some more felting & other textile arts.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Not a big fan of anyone in particular. I like Missy Higgins, Norah Jones, Casey Chambers. Looking at that, I’d guess you could say I like easy listening female singers with great voices!
Can play CDs on my computer & stereo.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love purple, brown & red. Not a big fan of bright neon colours like lime, yellow & orange. Not really keen on wishy-washy pastels either. But it depends what it is for. Starting to look at greens more.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a long, long term partner (just over 20 years) and we have 2 boys who will be 16 & 11 this year.I have a dog, Molly, who is a Jack Russell cross.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
It doesn’t get very cold where I live so I wear scarves more as a decoration than for warmth. Don’t wear hats, mittens or ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I have made quite a few freeform handbags and tops.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I have just completed the handbag for International Tote Exchange III. Currently knitting blocks for the Lizard Ridge Afghan from knitty.com. Also on the needles is Sorrel from Rowan and the Lapis Asymetrical Top (a pattern by Jane Thornley), soon to be cast on will be a scarf for the International Scarf Exchange and in April, a one skein project for the Aussie Knitters swap.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes. I know how much time, thought & effort go into handmade gifts.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I have used straight metal needles for so long. I am getting used to circulars now I have my Denise set. I haven’t used bamboo but I would like to try them, also want to try Addis turbos that I hear so much about.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a very old yarn winder; don’t have a swift.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I am still making the Weekend Getaway Satchel (Mary Poppins style carpetbag) from Interweave Knits; must be a year or two by now.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Christmas. I love the hussle & bustle of the mad shopping, the decorations in the shops, the choosing and especially the wrapping of gifts & the hot (Australian) Christmas day.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I seem to be amassing craft books and yarn recently! But nothing else.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Yarn: any yarn I can’t get here in Australia that I hear is so wonderful. Malabrigo is one that comes to mind. Also have to get my hands on some more Noro Kureyon for the Lizard Ridge blocks as the colour range here in Australia is limited.
Books: would love some Japanese knitting magazines/books.
Needles: Addis, bamboos, some nice ebony or rosewood, casein
Mags: I subscribe to Interweave Knits, Rowan & Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’ve just made a modular knit scarf and want to do more of this type of knitting. Otherwise I’d only learn a new technique if it was for a particular pattern.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have just finished my first pair of socks and have a skein of handpainted yarn put aside for my 2nd pair (although depending on my partners colour preference this could end up being a scarf for the scarf exchange). I like the idea of knitting socks but haven’t caught the sock mania that seems rampant at the moment!
I am a ladies 8 (in Australia) which makes my foot about 9 1/2″ long.
23. When is your birthday?
My birthday is March 23.