I’ve spent today playing around with felt, making my felt art quilt.
First I drew a few rough sketches on paper, playing with shapes & the layout of designs. I was originally going to have an interesting shape, repeated in different sizes/colours. An abstract design was what I had in mind. Lots of stitching.
As usual, what was the original plan didn’t end up that way.
When I went digging in my stash for the felt I found some precut felt flower shapes that I had bought ages ago, just waiting for the right project.
Flowers need a vase or a garden.
At this stage I felt it needed some pizzazz, a bit of zing, something to lift the whole quilt. So I started auditioning some green threads & some pearls for the flower centres.
I liked the contrast of the bright green but not in a stranded cotton. Off to the craft shop for some wool embroidery thread and another piece of felt in a bright contrast colour.
Next I started stitching. Blanket stitch to hold down the vase and some simple straight stitches for the stems.
So far, so good…..but it still needs some ‘zing’. At this stage I added some bright orange as a highlight to the side of the vase.
Not the original vision but it’s OK.